With spring just around the corner, many of us are itching to spend more time outdoors and one way to make the outdoors a little better is revamping your backyard and turning it into the ultimate oasis. Imagine having extra outside living space where friends and family can gather for a relaxing time outback. With a little planning and prepping, you can be on your way at designing a gorgeous backyard retreat for you to enjoy year after year! Here are some tips to plan and prepare for a picture perfect backyard.
1. Serene and Inviting Elements
When you take a look at your backyard, you want to see a very inviting area that is complemented by serene touches. Consider the construction of a deck or patio because you will want an outdoor extension off your back door. The patio or deck can be the ideal spot for seating, a barbeque grill and even some flower boxes. Line some comfortable benches along the perimeter of the patio or deck for additional seating and consider a fire pit for extra warmth at night and the option of roasting marshmallows.
2. Lush Landscape
A backyard won’t be complete until you get your hands a little dirty. Strategically place bushes, flowers and trees in your yard to add visual appeal. Choose plants that best suit where you live so they can thrive all year round. Place mulch around the plants and create a barrier between grass and mulch with pavers or river rock. Don’t forget to seed and feed your lawn to have the greenest grass around and install sprinklers to make maintenance a breeze.
3. Add Privacy Fencing
While you may be best friends with your neighbors, adding privacy fence around your backyard can truly create that oasis/retreat feel because sometimes you might want to enjoy your backyard alone. There are various fencing options you can choose from that include vinyl, wood, aluminum and so much more – so select a style that fits your taste and complements your homes’ exterior. However, don’t forget to install aluminum fence gates so you can have more than one point-of-entry into the backyard.
4. Water Feature
Nothing is more soothing than listening to the sounds of moving water and you can get that by adding a water element to your backyard. Create a self-contained waterfall with river rocks and greenery for a natural look. Take the design a step further by incorporating a mini koi pond for live fish that are easy to care for.
Creating a backyard retreat takes some creativity and time to plan but the final product will be pleasing and well worth the effort. Don’t forget to add lighting around your yard for nighttime enjoyment and as an eco-friendly option, check out solar powered lights!
Chain link fences make great additions to your home. They are cost efficient, safe, and allow you to have a sense of privacy and security around your property. These fences are especially beneficial for families with dogs and young children that may like to spend some time outdoors. However, they do have one minor disadvantage: they can be a little more challenging to decorate compared with picket fences or other wooden styles. Metal chain link fences cannot simply be painted over to match the color scheme of your home (though we do offer some color options to help you match!). That doesn’t mean they can’t be improved at all, though – it just calls for a little bit more creativity. Here are 3 ways to spruce up a chain link fence:
- Decorate it with plastic cups. It is easy to decorate your chain link fence with plastic cups; you can paint them and place them directly into the holes of your fence. Find an interesting pattern you’d like to recreate online or arrange them to make a certain slogan or phrase. This is an especially good way to celebrate birthdays, sporting events, milestones, and other fun get-togethers. Check out Pinterest for different ideas and patterns to use.
- Grow plants through the fence or lining it. Do you have a green thumb? If so, it’s time to combine your gardening and craft skills and apply them to your fence. Place some of your favorite plants along your fence and allow them to grow through it. As they begin to get tall, you can weave the vines right into your fence for a rustic look. This idea works especially well for vines like ivy or jasmine. Another option is to line the fence with decorative trees, shrubs, and flowers. Try planting Green Giant Thujas or Italian Cypresses and then placing a narrow bed of flowers in front of them.
- Weave it. Flowers and vines aren’t the only items you can weave your chain link fence with. If you’re not much of a gardener but enjoy the weaving idea, try using bamboo or even just colorful strips of paper through your fence. This is a great way to make your fence stand out a bit more and appear more attractive.The bamboo will help to create a cool earthy vibe for your fence, while colorful paper will create a more fun and bohemian feel. Try both to see which one you like better.
- Add Privacy Slats. Privacy slats can be woven into either the top or bottom of your chain link fence. Their primary purpose is to offer more privacy and security to your home, however, they offer many cosmetic benefits as well. For example, you can choose from a white, beige, blue, brown, green, black or redwood fence. You can also do a reed or bamboo fence to create a unique earthy or bohemian feel to for your yard. Fence inserts are also available. There is no shortage of creative options available through the use of our privacy slats.
Chain link fences don’t have to be boring. While they are mainly known for being functional and providing safety, security, and privacy to your home, that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative and have fun with them. These unique tips will allow you to indulge in your creative side and have a bit of fun with your fence. You can even change it up every few weeks or months. With the right designs, your fence will be the talk of the town!
Now that it is summer, it is the perfect time to take a look at ways to reimagine your backyard. Not only is a backyard redesign an investment that can add value to your home; it’s also an investment in your happiness. The backyard offers the perfect backdrop to get together with friends and family to share old memories and make new ones. So what are some of the best ways to facilitate this environment? Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Update your deck or patio: The patio is a place to sit down after a long day and admire the sights and sounds of summer. It’s also a place to eat outside and play cards with some friends. There are many ways to update your deck and patio. You can install new deck or porch railings to add security and aesthetic appeal to your home. You can purchase deck stain to offset the damage done during the winter and protect against ultraviolent rays. Also, consider adding some potted plants for added decoration.
- Start a garden: If you’re feeling stressed out, why not try starting a garden? Gardening allows you to get some sun, which is a natural mood stabilizer, and also helps you to connect with nature as you take a step away from your mobile phone and email to get your hands dirty. In addition, if you plan on growing a vegetable garden, you’ll have fresh fruits and veggies for the summer. And don’t sweat it if you don’t have the soil for gardening. Container garden works well too.
- Perform simple landscaping projects: You don’t need to be a master landscaper; there are simple projects out there that can really spruce up your home. These could include anything from installing pavers for a walkway to planting new shrubs or trimming old ones. You’d be surprised how much better your backyard will look after a few hours of landscaping.